The main reason that most people seek orthodontic treatment, and one of the most important benefits that treatment provides, is improving the appearance of a person’s smile! However, a healthy, well-fitting bite is a huge benefit that orthodontics treatment with braces or Invisalign provides and critical in maintaining healthy teeth and gums for life. At Whithehead Orthodontics, we understand the importance that a healthy bite and beautiful smile can have in one’s life and make it our mission to offer our patients the latest and most state-of-the-art orthodontic treatments available anywhere in the world right here in Lexington, SC. Orthodontic treatment with Invisalign is an alternative treatment option to traditional braces and available to many patients seeking a more beautiful smile. Invisalign provides a convenient and comfortable way to achieve a beautiful orthodontic result and in many cases can even be completed in less time than traditional braces.
Ideal for both teenagers and adults, Invisalign and Invisalign Teen offer patients the opportunity to correct their smile without anyone even noticing that you are wearing anything on the teeth at all. Aside from the cosmetic benefits Invisalign offers, there are many other perks to consider.
- Easy home care- Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign trays are removable so the aligners can be removed during meals and also allows patients to take the aligners out of the mouth while brushing and flossing the teeth making it much easier to maintain excellent oral hygiene through orthodontic treatment process. Simply remove the Invisalign trays, brush and floss teeth as normal, brush and rinse the trays, and then put them back in the mouth to continue the tooth movement. It’s that easy!
- Enhanced self-confidence- One of the most obvious advantages Invisalign provides over traditional braces is that the aligners are virtually invisible! The fact that no one notices that Invisalign patients are wearing anything on the teeth thus makes this treatment option a favorite of our adult patients seeking that gorgeous smile.
- Reduced number of appointments- Invisalign treatment involves a series of aligners, each aligner moving the teeth closer to the desired position and final result. Invisalign patients change their aligners every two weeks but usually only have to come to the office for appointments every 8-12 weeks. This eliminates the stress of having to leave work for their orthodontic appointments and is another reason why our busy adults love this treatment option!
The benefits of Invisalign treatment are numerous, however, there are some disadvantages you must be aware of as well.
- Removability- While this feature is usually is considered a benefit this can work to your advantage or disadvantage. Dr. Jim Whitehead recommends all Invisalign patients to wear the trays for the majority of the day (minimum of 22 hours), except for eating and brushing. Because it is easy to remove the trays, patients may be tempted to wear them less than is required, which slows the progress and makes a perfect result less predictable. Though this is a disadvantage, it can be easily avoided provided the patient follows Dr. Thurman’s simple instructions of full time wear so they finish treatment with the smile of their dreams!
Contact Whitehead Orthodontics today to schedule your complimentary consultation with Dr. Whitehead and discuss the benefits of Invisalign vs braces, 1-803-996-5100. We look forward to meeting you soon!
Besides Straight Teeth, What are the Benefits of Braces?
If you are a teen and you are constantly called “rabbit teeth” or “Dracula” because your teeth protrude, then you will do just about anything to stop the ridicule. Many adults feel self conscious too, because of the effect their smile has on others. They may be prepared to traverse the highest mountain just to feel normal or to feel that people cannot take their eyes off them because of their incredible smile.
The advent of braces that could barely be seen sent thousands knocking on their orthodontist’s door, pleading with them to fit these revolutionary wonders. Teens are not so bothered about the appearance of braces. They just want to look normal and merge in with the rest of the crowd. Many people want a million dollar smile and are prepared to pay for it too. What they do not realize is that wearing braces does more than add a smile to a face. It helps to prevent the onset of tooth decay and infected gums, too.
Bacteria Love Crooked and Crowded Teeth
Crowded or crooked teeth, or ones that overlap each other, are a great opportunity for bacteria to firmly embed themselves in those hard to reach gaps and overlaps. The avid teeth cleaner may have difficulty manipulating the tooth brush or floss into those tight spaces. Orthodontic treatment does wonders with the techniques available. The teeth become correctly aligned and the spacing between teeth makes it easy for the bristles of a toothbrush to attack plaque and eliminate bacteria. For once, the person can have both straight teeth and sweet breath at the same time.
You might never have thought that your mouthful of crooked and misaligned teeth could affect your speech. If you did not know this already, you will very soon. Once those braces have been removed, your tongue can dance around your mouth, squeezing out delicate sounds you have never heard before. Your friends and your work colleagues will be truly amazed and you may even get a job promotion if your speaking ability makes you a good ambassador for your employer and his or her business.
Misaligned, missing and crooked teeth can have a great influence on your face shape. Bones tend to move in tandem with the arrangement of your teeth. If your teeth are changed and better aligned through the use of braces, then the bones will follow suit and your jawbone will adapt to this by adding a new more improved shape to your face.
The benefit of braces extends even further. By realigning your teeth it enables the presence of a better bite, which means food preparation for digestion is much improved. The chewing action on food is more effective, meaning that your food is broken down into smaller pieces aiding digestion further along the digestive system.
If you would like more information about how braces can help you, make an appointment with Whitehead Orthodontics to discuss the procedure and potential benefits.
Are you an adult who is considering getting braces? Perhaps you’ve had them before, but over the years that dental work has been reversed. Or maybe you’ve never had any orthodontic work done, but are considering braces for the first time. In either case, Whitehead Orthodontics can help you enjoy straighter teeth, an improved bite, and a more beautiful smile. If you are considering getting braces, here is what you need to know about adult orthodontic work from Dr. Jim Whitehead.
Can Braces Work For Adults?
Absolutely! Braces work for just about anyone. However, there are several different types of braces, and not all of them may work for you. Different types of orthodontic treatments include:
- Ceramic braces
- Metal braces
- Damon System® brackets
- Invisible braces
- Rubber bands for bite correction
- Headgear and other appliances
By scheduling a consultation, we can determine which treatment or combination of treatments would be best for your specific needs.
How Do I Get Started?
Getting braces can be a little bit daunting. At first glance, the process may appear expensive and time-consuming. However, if you take it step by step, getting braces can be a simple and relatively pain-free experience. Here are the first steps you need to take to get on the road to straight teeth:
First, you need information. If you are nervous about getting braces, or are having trouble getting started, learning more about the process can help ease your mind. Here are a few sample questions to ask:
- What kind of braces do you recommend for my teeth?
- How long will the treatment take?
- How often will I need to come in for adjustments?
- What is the total cost of the treatment? Do you accept insurance? Will you require the full amount up front, or do you have payment plans?
Asking these types of questions will help you understand what to expect during the entire process, which can aid your decision on the proper course of action.
The next step is to complete any prerequisite treatment. During your first meeting with Dr. Jim Whitehead, we’ll need to take some X-rays and molds of your teeth, and then help you determine an appropriate treatment plan. Recommendations may include some preliminary dental work before you get your braces, which can be an important step in making sure your orthodontic treatments are effective.
Once you have completed these steps, you are ready to get started! After you’ve chosen a treatment plan and undergone any necessary prerequisite dental work, you’ll be able to get your braces. Just like that, you’re on your way to a better smile! If you’d like to get started right away, call our office today 1-803-996-5100!